Monday, April 28, 2014

Poetry in the Movies Blogathon!: LINKS!!!


We're here at the end of my first ever blogathon. For a guy who generally toils in seclusion, I think it went reasonably well. It went well enough that I plan on hosting at least one more this year, but hopefully two. Details to come whenever I decide to pull the trigger on those. Hopefully, we'll multiply the participation.

The big reason for this post is to thank my fellow bloggers who took time out of their busy lives to pen something and give their blogs a little shine. Here they are...


m. brown over at Two Dollar Cinema went above and beyond the call of duty by not only writing about a movie about the incomparable Edgar Allan Poe, but doing his review of The Raven in the form of a poem! I'm so unworthy.


The amazing Fisti of A Fistful of Films took a more personal approach by highlighting the poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter" from the animated version of Alice in Wonderland and how it informs the rest of the film and, to at least a tiny degree, his life.


Josh at The Cinematic Spectacle turns us on to a rather unheralded Oscar nominated performance by Javier Bardem. I say unheralded because I don't even remember hearing about it. Anyhoo, he plays persecuted Cuban poet Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls.


Another of my favorite bloggers, Alex from And So it Begins... chimed in with a wonderful examination of The Basketball Diaries. In case you somehow missed it, it stars Leonardo DiCaprio giving a powerful performance as hard-livin' poet Jim Carroll.


As for me, I double posted, once about the documentary Louder Than a Bomb, then about the indy flick Slam. And though this wasn't technically part of the blogathon, I once reviewed the wonderful Korean movie Poetry, which is where that banner at the top of this post comes from.


Thanks again to those who participated. And since I'm just a blogger and not the IRS, I can be a little flexible with the deadline. What I mean is anyone who wants to get in on this over the next week or so, I'll be sure to come back and update this post.

4 comments:

  1. This was great fun. Thanks for hosting this! I wish I had heard about it earlier, but I'll be sure to jump on your next blogathon as soon as you post it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Now, only if I could figure out what that next one will be...hmmm...

      Delete
  2. Alright alright. Thanks for hosting, Wendell. I was definitely...inspired. Now I gotta check out everyone else's entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for joining in on the fun. I'll be more than happy to return the favor.

      Delete