Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Ten: Most Iconic Movie Characters


My homie m.brown over at Two Dollar Cinema passed me the baton on a blogging relay that's been going on for a little while now. I've had fun watching it develop and I finally get to be a part of it. It was originally started by Nostra at My Film Views and he laid down the law before he set it free in the wild:

A list of 10 iconic movie characters has been made. That list will be assigned to another blogger who can then change it by removing one character (describing why they think it should not be on the list) and replace it with another one (also with motivation) and hand over the baton to another blogger. Once assigned that blogger will have to put his/her post up within a week. If this is not the case the blogger who assigned it has to reassign it to another blogger. After you have posted your update leave the link in the comments here and I will make sure it gets added to the overview post.

With that, let's get to it.


Welcomed to stay at the party:

Holly Golightly

Darth Vader

Ellen Ripley

James Bond

Jack Torrance

Indiana Jones

Jason Voorhees

E.T.

Harry Potter




Asked to leave:

Buzz Lightyear

Why? It came down to Buzz and young Harry. Honestly, I like Buzz a lot better. A whole lot better. The problem is, as much as I love him, I always think of him as part of a team. It's Buzz and Woody. Woody and Buzz. They are an iconic duo, but I don't think of either as THE icon of the franchise. Meanwhile, what Harry's place in the stratosphere is damn hard to deny.


Finally let in the door:

Batman

Why? Mostly because he's Batman. And because I've been talking Batman all week. And because it's a nice birthday gift to The Caped Crusader. If you need more than that, Bats has been with us for three quarters of century and even though we all know he started as a comic book character, he began appearing on the big screen before World War II. That super campy 1960s TV show starring Adam West? Yeah, it was actually a spin-off from this movie. That first Tim Burton Batman movie? Everyone knew it was the biggest movie of 1989 in 1988. Let that sink in. To put the icing on the cake, I'm pretty damn sure I've never met a person who is at all cognizant of their surroundings who didn't know who Batman was. Better yet, 90% of them also know he's Bruce Wayne. If that's not iconic, I don't know the meaning of the word. Besides, this is a party. And what's a party without a billionaire playboy?

Okay, I'm done. I'll pass it along to thevoid99 over at Surrender to the Void.


The Path of the Relay:

4 comments:

  1. BATMAN!!!! Now, the question is...why didn't he show up sooner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was busy defending the good citizens of Gotham.

      Delete
  2. While I'm fully on-board with the Dark Knight...I think of him more as an icon from comics, not film. Though at this point, pretty much all films are comics. Shit.

    Anyway, incredibly solid selection. But with Buzz gone, somebody's got to add some animated character, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated to get rid of Buzz, but it had to be done.

      Delete