Monday, November 10, 2014

The 2013 Dellies


Okay, friends. I've put off honoring what I think the best of 2013 is for quite some time. The simple fact of the matter is I see the movies I want to see from a given year slower than most of us so-called film buffs. My own personal hard rule is that before I start expressing such opinions, I must see at least 100 of that year's movies. Truthfully, I surpassed that mark some months ago, but there is always something else that deserves to be seen. Even as I sit here having seen roughly 130 films released in 2013, there are a number of movies that I just haven't gotten around to, yet. Some of them have been deemed award worthy by many of my fellow bloggers. Others managed to make a bunch of money.

A partial list of what I've missed (alphabetically):

21 and Over, About Time, Before Midnight, Cutie and the Boxer (documentary), Evil Dead (remake), The Family, Frances Ha, Free Birds, Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, The Host, The Hunt, Instructions Not Included, Lone Survivor, Philomena, Riddick, Safe Haven, Walking With Dinosaurs...

I could go on. However, if you're going to give out awards you just have to suck it up and go with what you know, at some point. With that, let's just get to it.

Last year, I created a bunch of separate posts for each award. I didn't feel like doing that this year, so we'll have just this post for all of my awards. Two things to know: I don't do technical awards and there is no Best Picture award. As far as the technical awards go, that stuff is way above my level of expertise. I'll leave that stuff to people that know what they're talking about like Josh at The Cinematic Spectacle or Fisti at A Fistful of Films. I just cover the basics here: actor awards, best director, and a couple others. You'll find out later in the week what I think the best, and worst, movies of 2013 were. Here we go...


Nominees for Best Actor:

Bruce Dern
Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio
The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor
12 Years a Slave
Tom Hanks
Captain Phillips
Michael B. Jordan
Fruitvale Station
The Dellie for Best Actor goes to...

Leonardo DiCaprio
The Wolf of Wall Street


Nominees for Best Actress:

Cate Blanchett
Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock
Gravity
Adele Exarchopoulos
Blue is the Warmest Color
Rooney Mara
Side Effects
Meryl Streep
August: Osage County
The Dellie for Best Actress goes to...

Cate Blanchett
Blue Jasmine


Nominees for Best Supporting Actor:

Barkhad Abdi
Captain Phillips
Tony Danza
Don Jon
Michael Fassbender
12 Years a Slave
Jonah Hill
The Wolf of Wall Street
Jared Leto
Dallas Buyers Club
The Dellie for Best Supporting Actor goes to...

Jared Leto
Dallas Buyers Club


Nominees for Best Supporting Actress


Lupita Nyong'o
12 Years a Slave
Lea Seydoux
Blue is the Warmest Color
June Squibb
Nebraska
Jacki Weaver
Parkland
Oprah Winfrey
Lee Daniels' The Butler

The Dellie for Best Supporting Actress goes to...

Lea Seydoux
Blue is the Warmest Color

Nominees for Best Animated Feature:

The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Monsters University

The Dellie for Best Animated Feature goes to...

Monsters University


Nominees for Best Documentary Feature:

20 Feet from Stardom
The Act of Killing
Blackfish

The Dellie for Best Documentary Feature goes to...

The Act of Killing


Nominees for Best Director:

Alfonso Cuaron
Gravity
Harmony Korine
Spring Breakers
Steve McQueen
12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne
Nebraska
Martin Scorsese
The Wolf of Wall Street

The Dellie for Best Director goes to...

Harmony Korine
Spring Breakers

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading personal awards. I have the same rule as you...I must see 100 films before I post the Fistis. I posted my 2013's a few months ago...and we have the same Supporting winners!!!

    Love your lineups, from what I've seen. I skipped Nebraska and Osage County personally...and I love your ballsy Korine win, even if I give my win to Cuaron.

    Also, thanks for the shout out! I appreciate the link and the blog support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The funny thing about me picking Leto is that I really didn't like Dallas Buyers Club. However, he so completely disappears into his role and is so utterly convincing I had to give him his just due. Seydoux is just outstanding.

      I recommend Nebraska. I really enjoyed that. Osage County, not so much. It's all kitchen sink melodrama. Again, Streep commanded the screen so thoroughly I had to give her a nod.

      Had to go with Korine for Director. Cuaron did a great job with Gravity, don't get me wrong, working with an actress and a green screen for much of the time can't be easy. I just thought Korine was an absolute magician on Spring Breakers.

      Glad to support your blog, it's a cool place to hang out.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you on Leto all the way. I didn't care for the film or McCon's performance, but Leto wasn't Leto...he WAS Rayon completely!

      Delete
  2. Great post Dell! And wowza, you've seen a lot of last year's films! I'd love to do something like this myself sometime :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Go for it! I'd love to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  3. I'd never ever get to 100 movies these days, so I usually just publish my list once I at least see everything from Oscar season. I award Blanchett too, with Hanks, Paulson and Hill being my other wins. Great to see Hanks among nominees here I cannot believe the Academy snubbed him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanks was excellent in Captain Phillips. Yeah, seeing 100 movies is no easy feat when real life keeps intervening. You see it took me nearly 2 years to get there.

      Delete
  4. I still haven't made a definitive 2013 list. Hell, I haven't made any definitive lists for the films of the past few years. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these things. I try to see what else is there and showcase anything that is a small film that needs to be seen or a performance that people aren't talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that at all. We need someone out there looking for those hidden gems. I find them when I can, but just like the idea of my own awards.

      Delete
  5. Great post, I'm a bit disappointed that I have only seen three of your nominations from last year. I thought Monsters University deserved some kind of best animation myself, highly enjoyable. Your best director award should've gone to Alexander Payne for Nebraska, but my opinion is a bit biased since that's the only movie I've seen out of your nominations for that category.

    Oh by the way, if you don't mind, could you update the link to my blog in your blogroll it's been changed to http://fivedollarreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad to see the love for Monsters U. It's a shame it was ignored by the Academy. Payne was indeed excellent in his direction of Nebraska. I wouldn't argue too much with anyone who chooses him.

      I'll gladly fix the link as soon as I get to an actual computer.

      Delete
  6. A really great list. I find myself agreeing with a lot of your choices. I cannot believe I haven't seen Monsters 2. Loved the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dellies, what a fun name! :) Hey, glad to see Monsters University and The Act of Killing win in their respective categories, I concur! Blanchett was my pick for Best Actress too, though I was rooting for Chiwetel in the Best Actor category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Chiwetel was great, but I thought he was overshadowed a bit in his own movie because of all the other great performances. Others were great in The Wolf of Wall Street, too, but Leo still dominated the screen and was off the charts good. At least, that's my opinion on the matter.

      Delete