Here in the U.S., February has been designated Black History Month. In years past, I have done a few posts here and there dedicated to the matter. I will do the same this year. However, I wanted to have you join in on the fun. To do this doesn’t require you to study up on Thurgood Marshall, Madam CJ Walker, Langston Hughes, Crispus Attucks, Shirley Chisolm, or anyone else. That’s highly encouraged, by the way, but not why we’re here.
We’re here to talk movies. The way we’re going to do that and make it fun (hopefully) is by doing a blogathon. I’m calling this one The Acting Black Blogathon. Simply put, it’s all about Black Actors. The rules are really simple, but I am doing this one a little different than I normally have. For starters, I’m announcing it much farther in advance than usual. This will take place over the three days immediately following Valentine’s Day. Second, I’m seeking to minimize duplicates. There still may be some. You'll see shortly what I mean.
In advance of the blog, please submit your intended topic and an alternate topic in case yours is already taken. Topics will be approved on a first come, first serve basis. There are three ways to submit:
1. Leave it below as a comment on this post.
2. Tweet it to me @w_ott3
3. E-mail it to me at email@example.com
1a. Create a new post about a great movie performance by a Black actor or actress. Tell us why you love it. Or…
1b. Create a new post about a Black actor or actress. Discuss that person’s body of cinematic work to demonstrate why they’re great.
2. Within your post, link back to this one.
3. Either use one of the snazzy banners I’ve created or one you’ve made on your own. If your make your own just include the pertinent information (my blog title, the name of the blogathon and the dates).
4. Publish your post from February 15 through February 17, 2016 and submit a link to it in one of the three ways listed above.
There can be no duplicates within your chosen path. That means if you have decided to use 1a and post about a specific performance, no one else will be allowed to choose that performance. If you go with 1b, no one else can choose the same actor. In other words, two people may post about two separate Denzel Washington performances while a third person can post about Denzel’s entire body of work. That said, we're knowledgeable and creative people. Denzel is not off-limits, but we can find plenty of other folks to talk about.
By the way, multiple posts from one blogger are allowed, even encouraged.
Got it? Good.
As topics are approved, I will list them on this post so that interested bloggers will know what's already taken. Thanks in advance to all who choose to join.
Now, don’t just sit there. Pick something and get to blogging!
- Dell on Movies - Denzel Washington in Malcolm X
- Flick Chicks - John Boyega
- KG's Movie Rants - Laurence Fishburne in Hoodlum
- KG's Movie Rants - Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple
- KG's Movie Rants - The Career of Zoe Kravitz
- A Fistful of Films - Juanita Moore in Imitation of Life
- Rambling Film - Top 10
- BNoirDetour - Sydney Poitier and the cast of No Way Out
- Hitchcock's World - Rosario Dawson in Unstoppable
- Cinema Gadfly - Paul Robeson in Borderline
- Grog's Movie Blogs - Don Cheadle in Boogie Nights
- Big Screen Small Words - Gugu Mbatha-Raw in Belle
- The Eclectic Scribe - Kim Wayans in Pariah
- Film Guy Reviews - The cast of Set it Off
- A Film a Day - Lupita Nyong'o
- Defiant Success - Pam Grier in Jackie Brown
- Speakeasy - Theresa Harris
- Fernby Films - Morgan Freeman
- Tips From Chip - Robert Townsend in Hollywood Shuffle
- CineMaven: Essays From the Couch - Duane Jones in Night of the Living Dead