Monday, January 11, 2016

Announcement: The Acting Black Blogathon


Here in the U.S., February has been designated Black History Month. In years past, I have done a few posts here and there dedicated to the matter. I will do the same this year. However, I wanted to have you join in on the fun. To do this doesn’t require you to study up on Thurgood Marshall, Madam CJ Walker, Langston Hughes, Crispus Attucks, Shirley Chisolm, or anyone else. That’s highly encouraged, by the way, but not why we’re here.

We’re here to talk movies. The way we’re going to do that and make it fun (hopefully) is by doing a blogathon. I’m calling this one The Acting Black Blogathon. Simply put, it’s all about Black Actors. The rules are really simple, but I am doing this one a little different than I normally have. For starters, I’m announcing it much farther in advance than usual. This will take place over the three days immediately following Valentine’s Day. Second, I’m seeking to minimize duplicates. There still may be some. You'll see shortly what I mean.


In advance of the blog, please submit your intended topic and an alternate topic in case yours is already taken. Topics will be approved on a first come, first serve basis. There are three ways to submit:

1. Leave it below as a comment on this post.
2. Tweet it to me @w_ott3
3. E-mail it to me at dellott@yahoo.com


The other rules are quite simple.

1a. Create a new post about a great movie performance by a Black actor or actress. Tell us why you love it. Or…

1b. Create a new post about a Black actor or actress. Discuss that person’s body of cinematic work to demonstrate why they’re great.

2. Within your post, link back to this one.

3. Either use one of the snazzy banners I’ve created or one you’ve made on your own. If your make your own just include the pertinent information (my blog title, the name of the blogathon and the dates).

4. Publish your post from February 15 through February 17, 2016 and submit a link to it in one of the three ways listed above.

There can be no duplicates within your chosen path. That means if you have decided to use 1a and post about a specific performance, no one else will be allowed to choose that performance. If you go with 1b, no one else can choose the same actor. In other words, two people may post about two separate Denzel Washington performances while a third person can post about Denzel’s entire body of work. That said, we're knowledgeable and creative people. Denzel is not off-limits, but we can find plenty of other folks to talk about.

By the way, multiple posts from one blogger are allowed, even encouraged.


Got it? Good.

As topics are approved, I will list them on this post so that interested bloggers will know what's already taken. Thanks in advance to all who choose to join.

Now, don’t just sit there. Pick something and get to blogging!

PARTICIPANTS


56 comments:

  1. Might be time to dig out my thoughts on Monster's Ball with Halle Berry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting a list in this post. Can I stake you to that?

      Delete
  2. Are you wanting us to stick with one individual person or could I do something like a top 10 list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A top 10 list would certainly be welcome!

      Delete
    2. Awesome, that's what I'm going to do if you don't mind.

      Delete
    3. Don't mind at all. It's locked in.

      Delete
  3. Love this idea! Can I be completely un-original and pinch John Boyega? After watching Star Wars and Attack the Block I'm a little bit in love and any excuse to gush about him in a blog post is an opportunity I can't miss!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. I will post it here soon as I get to a real computer tonight. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Ah, this should be interesting, though picking a topic will be tricky. It's so easy to just jump towards one of the obvious ones like Samuel L. Jackson or Morgan Freeman (both great actors, but ones I suspect a few people will be quick to choose). I'll have to think about this one.

    Part of me is wondering about doing something with Rosario Dawson. I know she's technically mixed-race but would that be okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love LOVE Rosario Dawson. Being that her mom is of "Afro-Cuban" descent, the Afro obviously denoting African, I will allow it. Just be sure to mention that in your post. Let me know if that's your actual choice so I can lock it in.

      Delete
    2. Okay. In that case I guess I'll do Rosario Dawson in Unstoppable. That's one I should be able to find time for writing.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the early headsup on this on. It's a great topic! I'm gonna go ahead and book early.
    Laurence Fishburne in Hoodlum
    Whoopi Goldberg in The Colour Purple

    Will think of more as they come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I was expecting to see Fishburne's name come up, but not that performance. Great choice. Can't wait to see what you have to say about both.

      Delete
  6. Juanita Moore in Imitation of Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea Dell, I hope I can take part. I'm thinking of doing a post on Wesley Snipes, but not sure what yet, maybe a top 10 list why I think he's awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to do Sydney Poitier and the other black cast members (including Ruby Dee and Ozzie Davis) in the 1950 noir No Way Out. This is for BNoirDetour.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks for stopping by. I will add ot to the post as soon as I get a chance.

      Delete
  9. I'm in. I just don't know for whom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful idea. I'd like to write about Paul Robeson in Borderline if it's available. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I was hoping for, but not expecting a Paul Robeson post. I am really looking forward to that. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Great idea! I think I'd like to go with Don Cheadle in Boogie Nights. His character and performance really intrigued me and I'd love to write about it! I'm also tempted to do something on Michael B Jordan in Creed as well since it's new on the mind although don't hold me to that one yet haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Cheadle in BN. Hell, I love him just about everything. Got it locked in, will add it to post later. Let me know on MBJ. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I'd like to write about Gugu Mbatha-Raw's performance in Belle, if that's still available!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to think about this one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds interesting, I'm in! I love Samuel L. Jackson but he would be an obvious choice so I'm going with Lupita Nyong'o, if she's still available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyong'o is certainly still available. Thanks!

      Delete
  15. I'd like to write about Pam Grier's work in Jackie Brown please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!!! I love that woman!!! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  16. I've decided to do something about Theresa Harris' movies, most likely a list of her best movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post is up! https://hqofk.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/theresa-harris/ Cheers & thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
    2. And what a great, informative piece it is!

      Delete
  17. Can't believe nobody has picked Morgan Freeman. That's what I'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I saw this post a couple weeks ago the title 'Acting Black" immediately brought to mind one film. I've watched the comments since then and to my surprise no one has picked it to review. I'm guessing that's because it's just not well known enough and that's too bad. Even though I don't post that often anymore I think it's worth doing one to bring more attention to it.

    So, with that intro I'd like to pick Robert Townsend's biting satire of what it means to be a black actor in Hollywood. I'm talking about Hollywood Shuffle (1987). It includes a bit where a white director is telling him to "act more black", which is what brought it to mind when I saw this post. It will give me an excuse to take this DVD down off my shelf and watch it again. It's been awhile since I last did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Love that movie. It's wonderful satire and unfairly forgotten.

      Delete
  19. Hey Dell, would Robert Downey Jr's role in Tropic Thunder be considered as "acting black"?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Wendell ~ May I please cover DUANE JONES' performance in "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD" for your blogathon? My blog is CineMaven's Essays from the Couch ( https://cinemavensessaysfromthecouch.wordpress.com/ ) Let me know, okay? Thanks so much.

    CineMaven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thanks for finding me. I look forward to your post. I will add it to the list above tonight when I get to a real computer.

      Delete
  21. My post is up at https://bnoirdetour.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/acting-black-blogathon-no-way-out-1950/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will read it as soon as I have a chance!

      Delete
  22. My post is up [ https://cinemavensessaysfromthecouch.wordpress.com/2016/02/15/duane-jones/ ] at CineMaven's Essays from the Couch. I'm writing about Duane Jones' performance in "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here is my review of Hollywood Shuffle (1987): http://tipsfromchip.blogspot.com/2016/02/acting-black-blogathon-hollywood.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey dude, here's my piece on Morgan Freeman: http://www.fernbyfilms.com/2016/02/16/blog-a-thon-acting-black-morgan-freeman/

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you are interested in generating cash from your visitors with popunder ads, you should embed one of the most established networks - PopCash.

    ReplyDelete