Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Acting Black Blogathon: Day 3 Recap and Final Thoughts


On Day 3, we were treated to more great writing by all of the participants in The Acting Black Blogathon. Without further adieu, here are those wonderful contributions:
Phew! That was quick. Three days flew right by. That's what happens when you're having fun. By fun, I mean I've been reading through all of the great posts you guys have blessed me with and made The Acting Black Blogathon a success. Your work shows that there are lots of great performances by Black actors and their work has helped enrich the cinematic world as a whole.

Thank you very much to all who took part, either by writing a post themselves, or just clicking through and reading our entries. I can't say enough about my writers who put their best foot forward and turned in some stellar work. You were insightful, topical, and articulate. Occasionally, our subject of choice took us into discussions on real life, and that's okay. Movies have a way of doing that every once in a while. It should. Like every other art-form, it can be used as a tool with which we measure ourselves. I think we stood tall.


We stood especially tall, in light of who you are. Yes, this was The Acting Black Blogathon, but the majority of the contributors were not black, at all. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish more "bloggers of color" decided to get involved. Still, the white bloggers who joined in on the fun should be commended. Their work was no less poignant or relevant than that of myself or any of the other bloggers of color. In the end, all of them accomplished the task I set for them, for us, even if I never expressed it plainly. We encouraged readers to watch a good movie that they may not have, otherwise.

None of us did this for monetary gain, as there was not one red cent to be made. Still, I hope all of the bloggers were rewarded in some fashion. Maybe that reward is in the form of a few more readers of and comments on your own blogs. Maybe it's that you yourself discovered a new and interesting blog to read. Or maybe, just maybe, you had fun doing it.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one particular blogger by name. That person is KG of KG's Movie Rants. He's our MVP after having posted an entry on all three days. Wow. I'm still blown away by this fact.

Lastly, I'm offering up an apology to Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves. For those of you who don't know, she runs a weekly meme called Thursday Movie Picks. I've rarely missed a Thursday since she started about a year and a half. However, I had to skip today to put the finishing touches on this post. Sorry Wanderer, I'll be back next week!


Click Below to see the rest of the entries in The Acting Black Blogathon


Thanks again for your support and participation!!!

22 comments:

  1. This was a great blog-a-thon. I thought about participating it but I had other things to deal with such as my 29 Days of Bowie series which is definitely why I haven't been posting any film reviews. Especially as I realize I'm still coping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know that you clicked onto many of the links. That's support enough.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome turn out, Dell! I can't wait to personally go through these posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll have a good time combing through these. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had such a great turn out and I loved reading all these pieces this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn. I'm sorry I didn't get time to post in this one. Right now there's a lot going on and it's hard to really think focus on writing anything at the moment. Still, it looks like you got a good variety of submissions from the people who did contribute. I mean they seem to cover action and crime films as well as historical dramas. That's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully you can get in on my next blogathon. I'll probably announce that in March (maybe April). As for the variety, I'm very pleased as we hit just about every era of filmmaking via a wide array of genres highlighting both genders and both hetero- and homosexuality.

      Delete
  5. I didn't have time to take part in this particular blogathon, though browsing through the recaps has opened my eyes to films I should watch or rewatch. Especially The Color Purple, Touki Bouki and Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see that. Touki Bouki is one completely new to me so I'm going to see if I can get my hands on that one.

      Delete
    2. @Dell - The two biggest reasons to see Touki Bouki are to see a young African director's take on the 60s French New Wave and to see what life was like in Senegal in the early 1970s. Even if you end up not liking it, check out the director's other film Hyenas. I felt it was quite a bit better.

      And if you haven't seen any of his films, check out another Senegalese director named Ousmane Sembene, especially his movie Moolade.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for all the recommendations, Chip. I'll see if Netflix has any of these. If not, I'll have to go combing the interwebbythingy.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for hosting this great blogathon. I'm going to take a look at all the posts this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for participating! I think you'll enjoy all of them.

      Delete
  7. T'was a great idea for a blogathon Dell, I'm hoping you'll give it another crack next year too! I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts - particularly regarding the older Hollywood years in which much of the black talent was overlooked as far as credit is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those post about the classic era were easily the most educational. Learned quite a few things, myself. Not sure if I want to do actors again next year or focus on directors. We'll see.

      By the way, you get extra credit, or bonus points, or a gold star, just something for starting your comment with "T'was"...in 2016!

      Delete
  8. I've been enjoying some of the contributions in the blogathon over the past few days and plan to catch up with them all in due course. I should have got involved myself and may, if time allows, still do so. Thanks for running this excellent feature Wendell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad to hear this. Makes me feel good to know that I am not alone in my appreciation of what my fellow bloggers put together. If you decide to contribute something, I will sill add your link to this post. If not, it's all good. Just be ready to go next year.

      Delete
  9. This was great fun to participate in and I'd like to give you three thank you's. Firstly thanks for hosting a great blogathon. It's great connecting with other bloggers and hearing new, exciting opinions on topics that I hadn't even thought about. Secondly, thanks for the MVP award. I hope you know what a big fan I am of this blog and getting praise from you really is an honour. Thirdly, I'd like to thank you on the choice of theme for this blogathon. Race is a hot topic, as it always is, especially in film at the moment. This was a great choice for a blogathon because good cinema must always be praised, whether it be black,white, Asian, American or even Martian. I loved that line near the end of this post about encouraging readers to watch a good movie. Not a black movie, not a culturally-diverse movie just a good movie. I think we need to move towards that point where greatness is defined by a piece of work's content and not its classification. Thanks for a great blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I think we need to move towards that point where greatness is defined by a piece of work's content and not its classification."

    Amen to that!

    Thank you again for your participation and, of course, your kind words. It is always great to hear someone appreciates you do. Please know that the admiration is mutual as I love coming by your blog, too.

    Tentatively, I have three more blogathons on tap for the rest of this year. That might grow to four. I really hope you will be able to join me for these. In other words, you really earned that MVP, no need to thank me for that.

    ReplyDelete