Thursday, December 13, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks: It's a Party


It's a Thursday. It's in December. Obviously, Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves is in a festive mood. That's why this week's topic is "It's a Party!" Hmmm...let's try to find some parties that aren't overly crowded.


American Psycho
(2000)
Is it about a Christmas party? No. Is there a Christmas party? Yes. And the titular psycho (Christian Bale) is indeed in attendance. He doesn't look like he wants to be there, but he is...just itching to kill someone.


Friday After Next
(2002)
The third Friday movie finds Craig (Ice Cube) and Day Day (Mike Epps) trying to recoup money stolen from them by Santa Claus, or at least someone dressed like him. Lots of wackiness ensues with many of the film's big moments occurring during a rent/Christmas party.


Just Friends
(2005)
This underrated comedy is loads of fun and focuses on the rather insecure, but very successful Chris (Ryan Reynolds) being reunited with his best friend from high school, Jamie (Amy Smart), who he also happened to have a tremendous crush on. Of course, things don't go as planned. However, they do attend a Christmas party, so things can't be all bad, right?



Alright, so I missed last week. Or, did I? Yeah, I did, but I'm going to make up for it right now. The topic was Meet the Parents. As tempted as I am to just pick all the movies in the Ben Stiller's same-named trilogy, I won't. I went a different route.


The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
(2000)
After all the ups and downs of the first movie, the sequel finds Professor Sherman Klump (Eddie Murphy) in a serious relationship with Denise (Janet Jackson). When Sherman finally decides to invites her to have dinner with his folks, all sorts of nuttiness occurs that violates every rule of table etiquette there is.


Bad Boys II
(2003)
Yeah, I know, this is one of those buddy cop/action-comedy thingies. Guess what my favorite scenes is, though. It's when the daughter of Martin Lawrence's character get picked up for a date by a very nervous boy who is meeting him, and his wife (Theresa Randle), and his partner (Will Smith) for the first time.


Get Out
(2017)
Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) is a black man going off for the weekend to meet the parents of his white girlfriend Rose (Allison Williams). He's worried about how they'll treat him because she's never had a black boyfriend before. To say his suspicions are well-founded is merely scratching the surface.




19 comments:

  1. Yes for Just Friends! I have to watch that movie every Christmas. That scene is so memorable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy it's getting some love, because it's pretty underrated.

      Delete
  2. I love the festive route you took here! I've seen all three. I agree that Just Friends is underrated and I love the gif you chose for American Psycho. As for meeting the parents, the only one I haven't seen is Klumps. I still randomly get Shake Ya Tail Feather stuck in my head from the Bad Boys II soundtrack though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That gif for American Psycho is just perfect, ain't it? Sums up the character quite nicely. That damn Nelly.

      Delete
  3. American Psycho is so funny and Bale's expressions during that particular scene always crack me up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you understand it's a comedy!!! Most people don't.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen American Psycho because I just never felt like seeing it. Friday After Next and I'm Busy do sound like fun. The Nutty Professor 2-ok that fart scene you show is hilarious! I still have to see Get Out...On my list to see for sure. Bad Boys is actually quite funny and entertaining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see Get Out. Glad to see The Nutty Professor and Bad Boys get appreciated.

      Delete
  5. LOVE American Psycho, and that scene in particular, but my big takeaway from this is Nutty Professor II!! I love those movies so much. The dinner table scene in the first one was so hysterical that my whole family couldn't stop laughing for about ten minutes... THE SECOND TIME WE REWOUND TO WATCH IT! The sequel isn't as good but it definitely has its moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I've only seen one, Just Friends, out of all six! It was an okay film but I've never had any desire to return to the well. I know I should watch American Psycho and probably will break down one day but it always strikes me as so disturbing. I thought the first Bad Boys was okay just never got around to the second. You couldn't pay me to watch that Eddie Murphy mess.

    I went high tone with my first pick (a ball is still a party just with jewels!) and more low brow with the others.

    The Reluctant Debutante (1958)-Sheila Broadbent, chic second wife of barrister Jimmy Broadbent (real life marrieds Rex Harrison & Kay Kendall) welcome Jimmy’s teenaged American raised daughter Jane (Sandra Dee) to London just as debutante season is beginning. Though Jane shows zero interest in participating Sheila spurred by competition with her snotty cousin Mabel Claremont (Angela Lansbury), and thinking she’s doing it for Jane’s own good, plunges all of them into the whirl of endless parties and balls each bring out a new teen into society. While Sheila hopes to pair Jane with the insufferable but wealthy David Fenner Jane has her own ideas and falls for the supposedly disreputable young drummer David Parkson (John Saxon). It’s all a fizzy roundelay with Kay Kendall stealing the show as the well-meaning Sheila. Sadly this was her second to last film, she died the next year of leukemia at 33.

    Bachelor Party (1984)-The night before his wedding to fiancée Debbie (Tawny Kitaen) Rick (Tom Hanks) reluctantly goes out for a night of debauchery with his friends, ringleader Jay (Adrian Zmed) and depressed, recently divorced Brad (Bradford Bancroft). They run into Debbie's wealthy, disapproving father (George Grizzard) and her ex-boyfriend, Cole (Robert Prescott), who both attempt to stop the wedding. Meanwhile Debbie is taken out by her friends for adventures of their own. Raunchy comedy was a big hit for the fresh from TV Hanks helping put him on the track to superstardom.

    Can’t Hardly Wait (1998)-The entire high school graduating class from football stars and cool girls to complete nerds gather at a wealthy classmate's home for a mega party. The artistic Preston (Ethan Embry) hopes to move in on Amanda (Jennifer Love Hewitt), the girl he’s loved from afar for years. Dorky William (Charlie Korsmo) schemes to pay back meathead Mike (Peter Facinelli) for years of bullying, and would-be rapper Kenny (Seth Green) gets locked in a room with snarky Denise (Lauren Ambrose).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American Psycho is disturbing, but it's also a dark comedy satirizing 80s America. Keeping that in mind might help.

      Almost went with Bachelor Party, myself. It only fell off because I decided to go with Christmas for all my picks. Haven't seen the other two.

      Delete
  7. Yes. Get Out is something else. Lots of people hate Bad Boys II, but I have a blast with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please do a review on Wiggle Pop!
    💙
    💜
    ❤️
    💛

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES to American Psycho! I wasn't expecting to see it this week but that scene fits and I absolutely love the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices. And now for some Phil Collins

    ReplyDelete