Wednesday, January 19, 2022

The Best and Worst of 2021 (so far) aaaaaannnddd Blog Plans

    First, let me say Happy New Year to anyone who happens to be reading this in January. I don't just mean January of 2022, which when I'm writing this, but any January. After all, you could be reading in from somewhere far in my future. You know how the internet works, so let's move on.

    You might be wondering why this post is (partially) titled "The Best and Worst of 2021 (so far)" if that particular is already over. The simple answer is I haven't seen everything I want to see that was released over the last year. Over the next few months, I'll be getting to those, or at least most of them, and can give you a more definitive answer on the way I feel about the films of 2021. This post is just the obligatory list bloggers and critics like to make at the end of a given year. I'm a list guy, so I rather like doing these. Here are...




The 10 Worst Movies of 2021 (so far)


10. Good on Paper


9. Coming 2 America


8. Thunder Force


7. The Manor


6. The Guilty


5. Secret Society


4. Tom & Jerry


3. Vacation Friends


2. Salt-N-Pepa


1. Space Jam: A New Legacy

Dishonorable Mention: Back to the Outback, Dune, F9: The Fast Saga, The House Next Door: Meet the Blacks 2, Rogue Hostage, SAS: Red Notice, Sweet Girl, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Willy's Wonderland






The 10 Best Movies of 2021 (so far)


10. Don't Look Up


9. Candyman


8. Spider-Man: No Way Home


7. Zola


6. The Mitchells vs. the Machines


5. No Sudden Move


4. Encanto


3. Raya and the Last Dragon


2. The Harder They Fall


1. Judas and the Black Messiah

Honorable Mention: Fatherhood, Injustice, King Richard, No Time to Die, Plan B, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, The Suicide Squad, Till Death, The United States vs. Billie Holliday, Vivo, Zack Snyder's Justice League


    Since this post includes the phrase "Blog Plans," I feel I have to give you something on that end. The truth is there are very few things in the works. My main goal is to finally finish The 100 Project. It's gone on for an embarrassingly long amount of time. 

    Aside from that, I plan on still having my two main blogathons, Against the Crowd and The Girl Week Blogathon. I'd also like to complete The Dellies for the last few years. Finally, after completely missing out on it in 2021, I hope to do a proper 31 Days of Horror in October. 

    From time to time, I'll drop in with the occasional post not related to any of the above, including taking part in bloathons run by others. How often depends on a few factors. The biggest is work. It's just hard finding time to compose my thoughts on movies in written form these days. 

    Wish me luck on these modest goals, and hopefully 2022 will be a year we can actually, and collectively enjoy.


8 comments:

  1. I saw 2 minutes of the new Space Jam movie and.... it pissed me off. The fact that the movie had a lot of hypocrisy into what they will not have but what they will have. So Pepe Le Pew is not OK but the Droogs from A Clockwork Orange is? They even put in a cameo of the crazy nuns from Ken Russell's The Devils yet the public still haven't seen the director's cut of that film. Man, fuck Warner Brothers. Plus, Lebron James isn't even in my all-time list of great players.

    Sorry you didn't like Dune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point on the hypocrisy of Space Jam: A New Legacy. For me, the bigger issue was that it was essentially a two-hour commercial. And not a funny one. I'll have to respectfully disagree with your stance on LBJ as a player, however.

      Delete
  2. I think I just got some inspiration for The Against The Crowd Blogathon because I loved Vacation Friends and didn't enjoy The Harder They Fall.

    To quote Morpheus, "time is always against us", life is alot but we need to carve out time for the things we enjoy. I'm looking forward to seeing you achieve your goals and then some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, looking forward to Against the Crowd. I can buy not liking The Harder They Fall, but Vacation Friends will be a hard sell to me, lol.

      Thanks. I'm going to give it my best.

      Delete
  3. Good to see you back posting again. I'm hoping you'll have a more regular schedule this year--I'm trying to be more regular and it's working, kind of.

    You and I have some key disagreements here. I loved Dune (but I'm also attached in odd ways to the source material, so I was bound to love it), and I was very disappointed in Raya and the Last Dragon.

    As for Judas and the Black Messiah? We're very much in agreement on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how regular it will be, but I should blow by last year's paltry total of 41 posts. Fingers crossed.

      I have no attachment to the source material for Dune, having never read the book. I did, however, watch David Lynch's version. I was immensely bored, except for the few times I was just weirded out. As for the new one, I was again immensely bored. This time, my breaks came from occasionally seeing breathtaking visuals. Honestly, it's sheer physical beauty is what kept it out of the bottom 10. Sorry you didn't enjoy Raya.

      Glad to see love for Judas and the Black Messiah.

      Delete
  4. A New Legacy is the only of your worst picks I've seen and I'd give it the top stop as well. At least the first one was a bit original.

    I'm so glad to see Don't Look Up in your best list because it feels like everyone hated it and it's just me who loved it. I hated Zola though. Loved the actresses but hated the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A New Legacy, sigh. Don't Look Up uas proven to be quite polarizing. Glad we're on the same side. Zola is definitely a "not for everybody" type of movie, so I get it.

      Delete