Sunday, June 1, 2014

Ranking the Batman Movies: Update

A couple of years ago, I ranked all of the Batman movies. I included all of the live-action and animated Bat-flicks. The only rule is that Batman had to be the main hero. This meant no Justice League flicks or team-ups with Superman. Movies with Robin are fine because The Boy Wonder is just his sidekick. Even movies in which others make an appearance are okay so long as it's clear that it is still The Caped Crusader's show.

That was done over a stretch of 16 posts during the course of almost a month. I've no interest in doing that again, but I do want to update the rankings. From now on, I'll use this post and update it as needed. And yes, the same rules are in play. Click on the titles for more information about each movie. (Warning: a number of these link back to the old rankings where the numbers may not match)

(1997)
Directed by Joel Schumacher
Batman played by George Clooney


(1995)
Directed by Joel Schumacher
Batman played by Val Kilmer


(2005)
Directed by Michael Goguen
Batman played by Rino Romano


(2000)
Directed by Curt Geda
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

(2012)
Directed by Jay Oliva
Batman played by Peter Weller


(2011)
Directed by Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery
Batman played by Ben McKenzie

(2003)
Directed by Curt Geda and Tim Maltby
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

(1998)
Directed by Boyd Kirkland
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

(1992)
Directed by Tim Burton
Batman played by Michael Keaton

10. Son of Batman
(2014)
Directed by Ethan Spaulding
Batman played by Jason O'Mara

(1993)
Directed by Eric Radomski and Bruce Timm
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

(2012)
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Batman played by Christian Bale

(2012)
Directed by Jay Oliva
Batman played by Peter Weller

(2008)
Directed by Yasuhiro Aoki, etc.
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

(1966)
Directed by Leslie H. Martinson
Batman played by Adam West

(2010)
Directed by Brandon Vietti
Batman played by Bruce Greenwood

(2005)
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Batman played by Christian Bale

(1989)
Directed by Tim Burton
Batman played by Michael Keaton

(2008)
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Batman played by Christian Bale

6 comments:

  1. Like your list. Gotham Knights is the only one I'd move much lower but definitely can't knock your top choice. One of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Gotham Knight is not for everyone since it's very experimental and really unlike anything else in the canon. That's actually a huge part of why I like it, though. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Nice ranking, surprised to see Dark Knight Returns pt. 2 so low, it's in my top 3 though I should re-watch it again. Glad to see Red Hood up there alongside the Adam West Batman. I still need to go back and watch the older Batman animated movies sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TDK Returns 2 just felt too disjointed to me and seemed to fall apart. I found part 1 far superior. And Red Hood is amazing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Nice article :) I haven't seen every animated movie, but the ones i have are kinda mixed. I actually didn't care for Gotham Knight much, but Red Hood was awesome :) Maybe I should check some the others out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Gotham Knight is rather hit-or-miss because it is so experimental. That said, there are some real gems among the animated stuff. The Dark Knight Returns is one Bat-fans have been gushing over since it came out last year so I'd probably start there.

      Delete