Sunday, September 24, 2017

Ranking the Batman Movies: Update


A couple of years ago, I ranked all of the Batman movies. I included all of the live-action and animated Bat-flicks. The only rule is that Batman had to be the main hero. This meant no Justice League flicks or team-ups with Superman. Movies with Robin are fine because The Boy Wonder is just his sidekick. Even movies in which others make an appearance are okay so long as it's clear that it is still The Caped Crusader's show.

That was done over a stretch of 16 posts during the course of almost a month. I've no interest in doing that again, but I do want to update the rankings. From now on, I'll use this post and update it as needed. And yes, the same rules are in play. Click on the titles for more information about each movie. (Warning: a number of these link back to the old rankings where the numbers may not match)

(1997)
Directed by Joel Schumacher
Batman played by George Clooney

(1995)
Directed by Joel Schumacher
Batman played by Val Kilmer

(2005)
Directed by Michael Goguen
Batman played by Rino Romano


24. Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts
(2015)
Directed by Butch Lukic
Batman played by Roger Craig Smith

(2000)
Directed by Curt Geda
Batman played by Kevin Conroy


22. Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
(2015)
Directed by Butch Lukic
Batman played by Roger Craig Smith


21. Batman: Bad Blood
(2016)
Directed by Jay Oliva
Batman played by Jason O'Mara


(2011)
Directed by Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery

Batman played by Ben McKenzie


(2003)
Directed by Curt Geda and Tim Maltby

Batman played by Kevin Conroy


(1998)
Directed by Boyd Kirkland

Batman played by Kevin Conroy


17. Batman and Harley Quinn
(2017)
Directed by Sam Liu
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

(2012)
Directed by Jay Oliva
Batman played by Peter Weller

15. Batman: The Killing Joke
(2016)
Directed by Sam Liu
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

14. Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders
(2016)
Directed by Rick Morales
Batman played by Adam West


(2012)
Directed by Christopher Nolan

Batman played by Christian Bale

(1992)
Directed by Tim Burton
Batman played by Michael Keaton

(2014)
Directed by Ethan Spaulding
Batman played by Jason O'Mara

(2015)
Directed by Jay Oliva
Batman played by Jason O'Mara

(1993)
Directed by Eric Radomski and Bruce Timm
Batman played by Kevin Conroy


(2012)
Directed by Jay Oliva
Batman played by Peter Weller

(2008)
Directed by Yasuhiro Aoki, etc.
Batman played by Kevin Conroy

(1966)
Directed by Leslie H. Martinson
Batman played by Adam West

(2010)
Directed by Brandon Vietti
Batman played by Bruce Greenwood

(1989)
Directed by Tim Burton
Batman played by Michael Keaton

(2005)
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Batman played by Christian Bale

(2017)
Directed by Chris McKay
Batman played by Will Arnett

(2008)
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Batman played by Christian Bale



Note: This list was originally published on June 1, 2014 and updated on September 24, 2017.

22 comments:

  1. Like your list. Gotham Knights is the only one I'd move much lower but definitely can't knock your top choice. One of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Gotham Knight is not for everyone since it's very experimental and really unlike anything else in the canon. That's actually a huge part of why I like it, though. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Nice ranking, surprised to see Dark Knight Returns pt. 2 so low, it's in my top 3 though I should re-watch it again. Glad to see Red Hood up there alongside the Adam West Batman. I still need to go back and watch the older Batman animated movies sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TDK Returns 2 just felt too disjointed to me and seemed to fall apart. I found part 1 far superior. And Red Hood is amazing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Nice article :) I haven't seen every animated movie, but the ones i have are kinda mixed. I actually didn't care for Gotham Knight much, but Red Hood was awesome :) Maybe I should check some the others out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Gotham Knight is rather hit-or-miss because it is so experimental. That said, there are some real gems among the animated stuff. The Dark Knight Returns is one Bat-fans have been gushing over since it came out last year so I'd probably start there.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen all of these, but I tend to agree with most of the placements of those I have seen. I'm happy to see Batman Forever that low, because I've always thought I hated it more than just about everyone else.

    The one place I will differ is at the top. While there's a lot to love about The Dark Knight, Batman Begins is my favorite of all of the Batman movies I've seen. However, since that's still in your top 3, I'd call that a quibble, because Dark Knight would easily be in my top 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Batman Forever is bad. It's most redeeming quality is that it's not Batman & Robin.

      I've no problem with anyone who has Batman Begins as their top Bat-flick.

      Delete
  5. For me so far....

    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. Batman (1989)
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Batman Returns
    6. Batman (1966)
    7. The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 1
    8. The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 2
    9. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    10. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    11. Batman Forever
    12. Batman & Robin (one of the worst superhero films ever!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just not as thrilled with The Dark Knight Rises as everyone else seems to be. Won't argue too much since we have the same #1.

      Delete
  6. That’s a lot of Batman. Haven’t seen the animated films. Heard good things about Mask of the Phantasm and Dark Knight Returns. Tim Burton’s 1989 film is still my favorite, it’s just so rewatchable and special to me.
    I don’t dislike Batman Forever, but it definitely isn’t a particularly memorable entry in the series. RIP Adam West.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it, though? Believe it or not, there's still quite a bit I haven't seen. Batman '89 is a great pick for your fave. I love it, too! Batman Forever, sigh.

      Delete
  7. My petty ass scrolled to the bottom first to make sure TDK was #1 lol.

    I haven't seen all of those animated movies, but I agree with your #1 obviously and your bottom two. I still remember that close up shot of Alicia Silverstone's boobs when she puts on her suit for the first time. My dad was laughing his ass off and I was so embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would actually have TDKR first though perhaps as for Batman-centric film it's not that good because he isn't in it that much. I've recently rewatched Batman Returns and it's just so wonderful I wonder if with all the risque jokes they would even make it nowadats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine with how little Batman is in it. The third act completely fell apart for me, though.

      To be honest, people didn't want Batman Returns, then. Parents basically revolted and that's how we wound up with Joel Schumacher. Forgetting how bad his 2 Bat-flicks were, the real irony is that he put nipples on the costumes and did close ups of everyone's ass during the suit-up scenes.

      Delete
  9. I thought I'd written something here. Just saying how good an idea for a list this is. Batman and Robin was the first Batman film I'd ever seen and I don't think I'll ever see a worse one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That one will be tough to beat in awfulness.

      Delete
  10. Oh man, you buried Schumacher's movies. Love it. Batman & Robin was randomly one the other day and I watched five minutes of it. I'm still amazed a major studio went along with that film. It's insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not amazed they went with it for a few reasons. Batman Forever made money so they thought they were headed in the right direction with the franchise. And look at the cast they assembled. It's a 90s movie with George Clooney, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Uma Thurman, and Alicia Silverstone all on the same bill. Unfortunately, they were all in this crap.

      Delete
  11. This is a great list. I haven't watched all the animated movies but I've seen enough movies off this list to think you pretty much nailed the ratings in terms of quality. The Dark Knight is the undisputed champion but The Lego Batman Movie is a CLOSE second. Your top 10 is on point. I'm really enjoying the most recent animated Batman flicks. Batman vs Robin, Bad Blood, even the new Justice League is great to watch. I'm really looking forward to a solo Batfleck film if they can keep a director on for more than a week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I am in awe of the fact that so many Batman movies exist.

    ReplyDelete