Monday, August 31, 2015

R.I.P. Wes Craven

1939-2015

If you've heard the news of the passing of Wes Craven, you've heard him called a master of horror, or something to that effect. The praise is well earned. He didn't just make great films, he altered the way horror was made and helped give it a voice beyond the screen. His films weren't just filled with creatures and things that go bump in the night, but also with concepts that either provoked thought, or simply gave us fits. It's well documented that his first movie, The Last House on the Left, is his commentary on the Vietnam War. His most famous movie, A Nightmare on Elm Street, attacked us where we are most vulnerable, in our sleep. It's safe to say, the man knew how to get under our skin and loved getting there.

My first encounter with a Craven-directed film was actually on one of his excursions outside the horror genre. It was the comic book movie Swamp Thing. Both campy, and bizarre, I loved it as an 11 year old back in 1982. Besides, this was during the days when comic book movies didn't grow on trees. Anything for us superhero fans to hold onto was great. As the years went on, I began to see that it wasn't exactly a triumph of film-making. I also began to pick up the horror vibes that are littered throughout. It just didn't come together, but it's a movie I still relish as "so bad it's awesome!" It's my second experience with Craven as a director that brought me into the fold. Like so many, I was blown away by A Nightmare on Elm Street. I loved everything about it.

Over the years, I would watch movies of his. As I said before, they all offered food for thought. None offered more than Scream. It is an amazing film that came along at a time when the genre appeared to be dying. By the time the opening scene was over, it was resuscitated. By the time we got to the end of the movie, not only was it breathing again, it was moving forward with renewed vigor. Suddenly, slasher flicks were going big things at the box office again. And most of them were Craven knock-offs. Stuff like I Know What You Did Last Summer and Urban Legend and the franchises they spawned are nothing, if not Scream wannabes.

This was the second time Wes Craven altered the course of horror. The first was with his debut feature, The Last House on the Left. Along with George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead, this film brought horror from outer space where it resided during much of the 1950s and 60s plopped it in its audience's collective lap in the middle of suburbia. For better or worse, it practically gave birth to the rape-revenge flick. Very soon after, we saw such films as I Spit on Your Grave and Death Wish cause quite the stir. It's a genre that still persists with such recent entries as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Sin City, Lady Vengeance, and of course, the remake to The Last House on the Left.

I've said all this to say this: Wes Craven's place on the pantheon of horror greats has long been secure. I think it should also be said that his accomplishments should place him among the greats across all genres. It takes real genius to be able to continuously figure out what makes us uncomfortable and craft it into films we can relate to.

Thank you, Wes Craven, for making us Scream.


Other Wes Craven related posts:

12 comments:

  1. Richard Roeper said this about him, "Thank you West for scaring the shit out of us". The man was a true master in the world of horror. Vampire in Brooklyn had its moments but it's not one of his best. Yet, you can't deny the things he's done to scare us. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did so much for the horror genre, both in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Agree he is among the greats. A huge loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He made a huge impact on the world of cinema and did so repeatedly.

      Delete
  3. Great post Dell! He will truly be missed. Btw Have you seen New Nightmare? it's another film of his that I think deserves mention as well, especially since it pioneered the idea of meta, self-aware horror Craven went on to perfect with Scream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have seen New Nightmare. It's definitely worthy of praise. I didn't want to turn this particular post into a rundown of all of his work, though. I'll get into his filmography a bit deeper in October.

      Delete
  4. He was such a master of the genre that I even I know his films, and I generally don't watch horror.
    He definitely had a voice and a vision and both will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you aren't a horror fan and him and his work speaks to how much he was able to transcend genre and simply make good films.

      Delete
  5. As a guy who doesn't love horror, Wes Craven is extra special to me in that he actually made me like a horror movie, even a few, and with more than one franchise. One of my first horror experiences as a kid was with A Nightmare on Elm Street. So classic! Then, in my teenage years, he was back to change the game again with the Scream franchise, as we've spoken about at length on a couple occasions. This is a tough loss. My heart certainly goes out to his family and loved ones and a genre of film that will no doubt miss his presence. Great tribute, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your words highlight exactly why he is a special film-maker.

      Delete
  6. As you know I wrote an essay about him just under a week ago. Just makes it even more of a shock. As someone who loves the horror genre, this is a great loss. Critic Kim Newman said: "Wes Craven reinvented horror at least four times - most directors don't even manage it once" - a perfect quote to show the man's importance to the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across that quote a few times this week and yes, it says so much. Big loss for horror in particular and movies in general.

      Delete