Thursday, March 14, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks: Movies You Thought You'd Hate But Ended Up Enjoying


It's happened to all of us. We begrudgingly sit down to watch some movie that we just know is going to be hot trash. Usually, it is. But every now and again, they out to be pretty good. That's what our wonderful host for Thursday Movie Picks, Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves, wants to talk about this week. No problem. Just remember that this is a no judgement zone.


Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
(1999)
Deuce is broke and really needs to make some quick cash so he becomes a "man-whore." And he becomes a huge hit with ladies who have one visible trait or another deemed unacceptable by most of society not by having sex with them, but making them feel better about themselves. There's the really tall woman, the narcoleptic, the girl with a dick for a nose, and so on. Why wouldn't I expect to hate it? It stars Rob Schneider. It's fairly reprehensible in that Rob Schneider by way of Adam Sandler style. But dammit, I couldn't stop laughing. I'm so ashamed.


Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior
(2006)
This one felt ripe for the hating. It's a Disney Channel original that my daughters made me watch about a popular high school girl who is up for homecoming queen. So far, nothing too out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple hundred of those. It's the twist they added that me dread what I was about to watch. The girl quickly finds out she is the reincarnation of an ancient Chinese warrior. Sigh. I bit my lip and started watching a kung fu flick produced by the Mouse House. The feeling of pending doom was amplified by the fact that I grew up on martial arts movies, making this one feel like blasphemy. You know what? It wasn't half bad. I mean, it's not half good, either, but I had fun with it.


Why Did I Get Married?
(2007)
I don't like Tyler Perry movies, but thanks to Mrs. Dell's fandom, I've suffered through just about every one of them. I can't remember which number this one is in the Canon, but my hatred of his work was well established by the time it came out. But I soldiered on. It's about several couples who go on an annual retreat together. This particular year all of their marriages are in tatters. We watch them try to put on fronts for each other, give advice to on another, and deal with their own drama. All of it eventually, and inevitably explodes. Strangely, I really like it and find it to be legitimately good. I guess it's true that a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.



18 comments:

  1. The first Deuce Bigalow film was pretty funny. The 2nd was OK although I think Rob Schneider is the last person who should be talking about anti-vaccination as he and Jenny McCarthy should be arrested for their stupidity.

    The only Tyler Perry film I liked was Diary of a Mad Woman and that is it. I haven't seen any of his other films and I don't want to. Wendy Wu Homecoming Warrior might sound fun and harmless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew nothing of their anti-vaccination exploits until just now. Wow. Shows how little I pay attention to these people's lives.

      Delete
  2. Loved Brenda Song in The Suite Life 💛💜❤️💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did my kids. I prefer her in The Social Network.

      Delete
  3. I've only seen your first pick and I laughed pretty hard too. I share your shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my the 3 you chose I have not seen but i could see watching the first one when nothing else is on. he is pretty stupid. I will also give the last one a try as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what you think of it when you do.

      Delete
  5. I saw Deuce Bigalow as well and since my expectation was rock bottom it was less painful than it could have been but I still thought it was foolish.

    I can't stand Tyler Perry either so kudos to your endurance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's definitely foolish, but I still laughed.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I've never head of any of these but the first one sounds like it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! I really enjoyed Wendy Wu! I need to watch that movie again!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks!

    Ronyell @ The Surreal Movies and TV Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen very few Rob Schneider films. Only the Hot Chick that I can think of. Wasn't that bad you know, looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only one of these I've seen is Why Did I Get Married, and I agree with you. It's the best Tyler Perry movie I've seen (not that I've seen a whole lot of them, but still).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you see the rest, there's a good chance you'll still feel the same.

      Delete