Monday, January 14, 2019

2019 Blind Spot Selections


Ever since 2015, I've been participating The Blind Spot Challenge. Back then, it was hosted by its creator, Ryan at The Matinee. He challenged his fellow bloggers to watch one "significant" movie per month that they hadn't seen before. Last year, hosting duties were taken over by Sofia at Returning Videotapes. It was also the first year that I actually watched all of my choices. I'm going for something even better this year. I'm going to really, really try to watch all of them within the month intended. Wish me luck. I should be able to get this done because every movie on this year's list is from my personal movie collection. So, all I have to do is take a few steps and pull the needed film off the shelf. Man, this is going to be tough. Let's see what I'm going to attempt to watch this year.


January
Tootsie


February
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

March
The Princess Bride

April
Big

May
The 39 Steps


June
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

July
Mallrats

August
Street Smart

September
Battlefield Earth

October
3 Extremes II

November
Thelma & Louise

December
Ghost in the Shell


19 comments:

  1. OK, the ones I haven't seen are Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The 39 Steps, some of Street Smart, 3 Extremes II, and Ghost in the Shell. Battlefield Earth.... I'll pray for you when you watch that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm accepting of all prayers from all denominations.

      Delete
  2. Good luck for this year! I've only seen Ghost in the Shell and Willy Wonka from your list. Ghost in the Shell is a great one, much better than the recent remake! Willy Wonka is a childhood favourite of mine but I don't know how well it'll hold up...either way I really hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm looking forward to all of them.

      Delete
  3. Good choices and have fun with these! I've watched 8 of 12. Big is an all-time favorite and SJHoneywell will probably go bananas when he sees you picked Princess Bride.
    Was amused by the inclusion of Battlefield Earth. I'm sure you're aware of it's reputation and the point must be to approach it as a so-bad-it's-good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohh I LOVE Tootsie! And Big & Willie Wonka!!! I've seen 9 out of the 12 and I've always meant to watch Street Smart so I'll be getting on that. The other two I'm missing, 3 Extremes II and Ghost in the Shell, will stay missed I suspect.

    Condolences in advance on Battlefield Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, my main worry for a couple of these--The Princess Bride in particular--is that they've been oversold to you. I mean, I love that movie like it was something I made myself, but it's easy for anything to be overhyped.

    I've seen eight of your twelve and at least like seven of them. Battlefield Earth is terrible, but it's terrible in a way you'll love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seen 9 of these. Though I sure haven't seen Battlefield Earth. I'm VERY curious your take on that one. I saw The Room the other week for the first time which was gloriously bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope Battlefield Earth is as gloriously bad as The Room.

      Delete
  7. Paramount's making another Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen five movies on your list, to varying degrees of enjoyment. Can't wait to read your thoughts about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I hope to find out which ones you liked or disliked, too!

      Delete
  9. Love the variety in your selections. Big fan of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. I recently rewatched Tootsie for the first time in YEARS. Really anxious to read your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Tootsie review is coming soon.

      Delete
  10. You have a few I haven't seen but really want to: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Thelma & Louise, The 39 Steps, Willy Wonka, The Princess Bride... Tootsie is amazing, I think I saw it for the first time last year, or in 2017.

    Thanks for participating again, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks! Good luck in September haha. And you'll have a blast in November. One of my favorite films. Christopher McDonald improvised most of his lines, and the result is absolutely priceless.

    ReplyDelete