Thursday, January 17, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks: 2018 Releases


Hello, Thursday fans. Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks. It's still early in the new year so it's okay to look back at the previous twelve months and longingly reminisce over that crop of cinematic offerings. Our illustrious leader, Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves gets this. That's why she made this week's topic 2018 releases. I've went with three that I haven't heard a lot of talk about. I found two of them on Netflix.


The Night Comes for Us
A mob enforcer goes rogue when he refuses to kill a little girl. Now, his former employers are after them both. On one of those rare days when I was in my house and actually on my own Netflix profile, I found this movie just begging me to take it for a spin in the "Suggestions for Dell" section. It promised lots of action and starred my boy, Iko Uwais from The Raid franchise. Turns out, he's not the star, but no matter. Martial arts, guns, and gore ensue. Ahem. Martial arts, guns, and gore! Oh my! Martial arts, guns, and gore! Oh my! Martial arts, guns, and gore. Oh my!


The After Party
An aspiring rapper is ready to quit the game after having one of the most embarrassing moments ever, caught on camera and then going viral. His best friend/manager believes in him and won't give up. The rapper decides to give his buddy one more night to get him a record deal or he's going to join the service. Wackiness ensues. This is another movie Netflix suggested for me. Is it a great movie? No. Does it have anything to say? Not really. It is, however, a fun, lighthearted time-passer with lots of music industry cameos that does nothing new, but also doesn't offend.


Den of Thieves
A crew bank robbers decide they want to do the impossible and try to rob the Federal Reserve. Of course, there's a determined cop on their trail, played by one Gerard Butler. Yeah, that guy. Like many, I'd given up on the idea of in appearing in anything quality. If you listen to the critics, he didn't here, either. It sits at 41% on the tomatometer. I wasn't going to watch it until a friend really urged me to give it a go. I did and I really enjoyed it through all its twists and turns. It wants to be Heat, at which it fails miserably. Then again, so does everything else.



23 comments:

  1. The Night Comes for Us is the one I'm interested in the most since it does feature the people from The Raid movies (waiting for the third film...). Den of Thieves I don't think I want to watch as I have a real disdain towards GERARD BUTTWAD!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked The Raid movies then The Night Comes for Us should be right up your alley. I would LOVE it if they made another Raid. I get it about Butler and wasn't going to watch it, either. It wasn't great, but far better than I expected.

      Delete
  2. The Night Comes for Us sounds super interesting. I will definitely check that one out :-)

    Here's my list: https://thepunktheory.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/thursday-movie-picks-2018-releases/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a blast...as long as you don't mind lots of blood and guts.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any of these but I've heard of Den of Thieves at least. The other two are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Den of Thieves is worth a shot. The Night Comes for Us is bonkers, start to finish. The After Party is a decent enough movie to watch as a time passer, or when you want to watch something, but not be overly involved.

      Delete
  4. oooh Den of Thieves is on Netflix so i could easily watch that. The Night Comes for Us sounds pretty cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ���� G"DAY Wendell! Tickets for our Wiggle Fun tour go on sale on the 21st at 10:30am.����❤️��

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Night Comes For Us would sit comfortably inside the "best films I watched in 2018" top 10 list if I made such lists. That Gerard Butler one, however, would sit in a different kind of list of 2018 films. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually heard of the first and 3rd one but haven't seen them. i can see myself watching the 3rd one when it shows up on Spike TV:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's definitely worth a SpikeTV night.

      Delete
  8. Dan of Thieves was suggested to me many times but I keep avoiding it because of Butler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which 2019 Releases are you looking forward to?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you've sold me on Den of Thieves, I am a sucker for a good twisty, turny story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

      Delete
  11. I haven't seen any of your picks.
    I actually only recently watched Heat, so Den of Thieves sounds the most interesting out your 3 for me.

    ReplyDelete