Thursday, October 6, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Witches/Warlocks


Back in my military days, one of my fellow soldiers was a young lady from the depths of Louisiana. I've never been there, but the area has a reputation of being overrun with voodoo practitioners. That's immediately where my mind went when I discovered her native land. It didn't help matters much that she had pale white skin, jet black hair, and her hand was cold in mine when I shook it. I hung with her and the guy who would eventually become her husband on occasion so I got to know her well enough to joke with her. Whenever something strange happened in her presence I playfully told her to stop all that witchcraft. She laughed, but I could never be sure if it was because I was actually funny, or was it a knowing laugh. In any event, we drank a few beers together, had a few other laughs, and I haven't been turned into a frog. If she's reading this, and she knows who she is, I want to thank her for sparing me the life of an amphibian.

The reason I went off on that tangent is because of this week's topic for Thursday Movie Picks hosted by Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves. In Wanderer's infinite wisdom, she made all of the topics for October Halloween themed. We're kicking things off with witches and warlocks. Let's see what I can conjure up, shall we? By the way, if you've actually read this far I've given you a hint on what it is, but there is a theme within the theme.


Angel Heart
(1987)
Harry Angel (Mickey Rourke) is a private detective from New York who has been hired by Louis Cyphre (Robert De Niro) to find a guy known as Johnny Favorite. His search leads him down to New Orleans where he runs into some very interesting people. Chief among them is Epiphany Proudfoot (Lisa Bonet) who happens to be Favorite's love-child. Let's just say that, from there, things get really weird, really fast. Truth told, it's as much neo-noir as it is horror, but it works really well in either case. The irony that has arisen nearly 30 years after the film's release is that it cost Lisa Bonet her regular gig as Denise on The Cosby Show because her nudity and rather bizarre love scene were at odds with the show's wholesome image. Hahahahahahaha!


Eve's Bayou
(1997)
Eve (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) is just a 10 year old girl who lives in...dun dun DUN...New Orleans. She accidentally sees her dad Louis (Samuel L. Jackson) getting it on with a woman who is not her mother. As you might guess, dad gets the lies going in a heartbeat. Thus begins what eventually becomes a labyrinthine tale of betrayal, denial, and yup, voodoo. The cast here is amazing. Aside from Smollett-Bell, and the seemingly omnipotent Samuel L. Jackson, it also includes Diahann Carroll, Lynn Whitfield, Vondie Curtis-Hall, and Debbi Morgan. It is the least 'horror' movie here and is truly more drama, but it's so good I had to include it.


The Skeleton Key
(2005)
Caroline (Kate Hudson) is a hospice worker taking care of an invalid at a plantation house in...you guessed it...New Orleans. Early on it seems this might actually be a haunted house flick. However, we soon find out lots of the goings on have to do with the house's previous occupants who were heavily into Hoodoo. The cast includes John Hurt, Gena Rowlands, and Peter Sarsgaard, but it's Kate Hudson who holds it all together, surprisingly. The real treat here is the movie's twist. It would make M. Night Shyamalan green with envy.



26 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of the movies but I've heard Eve's Bayou was good, will have to add it to my watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen all 3 of these films. Eve's Bayou is easily the best of the three films as it's one I hope to re-watch soon as well as Angel Heart which I also haven't seen in some time. The Skeleton Key is alright as it has its moments as it's one of the few performances of Kate Hudson that I like that isn't Almost Famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eve's Bayou is the best of the bunch. Sadly, I can say the exact same thing about Kate Hudson.

      Delete
  3. I know I saw the Skeleton Key when it was in theaters but I don't remember a thing about it. I haven't seen the other two, Eve's Bayou sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will agree, it doesn't really stick out in your mind, but it is a solid flick while watching.

      Delete
  4. Love a theme within a theme! I thought Angel Heart was excruciatingly awful but I liked Skeleton Key. It was fun and twisty and the ending very disquieting. Kate Hudson was quite good in it but my takeaway performance was Gena Rowlands, but then she's usually the most memorable part of any film she's in for me. I've only seen pieces of Eve's Bayou, it seemed interesting but I came into it too late so I stopped watching until I could see it from the beginning.

    I had to do some fast dancing with my third selection this week, I had The Wicker Man all written up but it proved so popular last week I wanted to include something new. So it lead me to track down my third pick which I'd long meant to see and which fits perfectly with the theme! Aside from it I went with the lighter side of witchcraft.

    I Married a Witch (1942)-Condemned to being burned at the stake along with her father 17th century witch Jennifer (Veronica Lake) puts a curse on her accuser Jonathan Wooley (Fredric March) that he and all his descendants will marry the wrong women. Their spirits captured in a tree they’re unexpectedly freed 250 years later to discover the curse is still working with the latest Wooley (also March) engaged to marry a shrew (Susan Hayward). Full of mischief and revenge the troublemaking duo decide to raise even more of a ruckus by way of a love potion but complications ensue. Supported by an excellent cast the two leads make the picture, their extraordinary chemistry remarkable since behind the scenes each bitterly hated the other. You’d never guess from what’s on screen, they seem completely swept away. The best showcase Veronica ever had, she’s seductive, alluring, humorous, seeming to carry a gossamer glow with her wherever she goes. A light as air concoction directed at breakneck speed.

    Bell, Book and Candle (1958)-Modern day witch Gillian (Kim Novak) and her cat Pyewacket, live in 50’s Greenwich Village along with her Aunt Queenie (Elsa Lanchester) and impish cousin Nicky (Jack Lemmon). She meets publisher Shep (James Stewart) and on a lark, partly because he seems immune to her and partly because Shep is engaged to her old college rival Merle (Janice Rule), she decides to make him hers by casting a love spell. Trouble starts brewing though when Gillian finds herself actually falling for Shep. That’s more than a little problem since Gill will lose her powers if she falls in love with a human. What to do? The film suits Kim’s languid style and she looks a million.

    Black Sunday (1960)-In the diametric opposite of I Married a Witch cult star Barbara Steel is Asa, a 16th century high priestess of Satan executed, along with several of her followers, by having a spiked mask hammered into her face. As punishment is meted out she vows vengeance of her accusers returning 200 years hence to inhabit the body of her doppelganger and reap bloody retribution. Trendsetting Italian Gothic horror movie is loaded with atmosphere and style though short on actual frights, excepting those opening scenes, but is permeated with creepy dread.

    Unmissable Bonus-Bewitched (1964-1972)-Beautiful blonde Samantha Stevens lives on Morning Glory Circle in quaint Westport with her often exasperated adman husband Darrin and their adorable kids Tabatha and Adam, plus nosy neighbor Gladys Kravitz, while her zany, often difficult family drop in frequently unannounced causing no end of troubles. Big troubles too since Samantha and all her relatives are witches who strongly disapprove of her marriage to a mere mortal. A monster TV hit in its day with a cast full of expert comic actors chief among them Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha/and her swingin’ cousin Serena, Agnes Moorehead as her firebrand of a mother Endora, Paul Lynde as jokester Uncle Arthur and Marion Lorne as the befuddled Aunt Clara this is often considered a subtle metaphor for interracial marriage at a time when that was causing much upheaval. Inspired in part by my first two picks. Avoid the ghastly 2005 remake at all costs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you need to see all of Eve's Bayou.

      Of your picks, the only thing I've seen is (probably) every episode of Bewitched and the 2005 remake. I can agree that it's ghastly. Good TV show, though.

      Delete
  5. I still have to see The Skeleton Key - can't believe I still haven't seen it, actually. Love, love, LOVE Eve's Bayou - SO good and unjustly almost forgotten today. Angel Heart is on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Eve's Bayou is getting lots of love down here in the comments. It's so good. I would love to see what you think of the other two.

      Delete
  6. I've only seen one of these--Angel Heart--and it's a really disturbing time at the DVD player. It's a fine film, though, and I love De Niro in it.

    Since you focused on voodoo, the movie I'd mention is The Serpent and the Rainbow. Weird, creepy, and with some tremendously good moments. I imagine you've already seen it. If you haven't, track it down this month; you won't be sorry. Admittedly, it's not a witch movie, but you did go with a more voodoo-heavy theme.

    I'll also second Joel's mention Black Sunday. While the movie doesn't really live up to it's opening couple of minutes, those opening minutes are some of the best of its decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A disturbing time at the DVD player, that's a great way to describe Angel Heart.

      Surprisingly, I have not seen The Serpent and the Rainbow. It has literally been on my to watch list for 30 years. I just never seem to get around to it for one reason, or another. Maybe before this month is out. We'll see.

      I certainly need to see Black Sunday.

      Delete
  7. Everything creepy certainly does happen in New Orleans; I would know! Great choices...I haven't seen Angel Heart in a hot minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least that's what I've been told about the place. Well, that and Mardi Gras, lol.

      Delete
  8. I always liked Angel Heart and I thought Lisa Bonet was quite good in it. When you see how she went from the Cosby show to utter obscurity it makes you think of the power that Cosby had. What a sanctimonious SOB. I have seen only parts of the Skeleton Key and I would like to see it all because it does look creepy. Love the voodoo theme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonet was good. It should have been the start to a wonderful movie career, but blam, Cosby speaks and no one will hire her. I think you should take a crack at The Skeleton Key.

      Delete
  9. I like the sound of Angel Heart.

    I have seen The Skelton Key, but I can't remember the twist. Perhaps it's time for a revisit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'd love to see what you thought of it if you saw it again.

      Delete
  10. I've seen some scenes from The Skeleton Key but never cared to watch it. It does sound like it's interesting after all though. I'll probably have to watch the other two as well, they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting film. Honestly though, the other two are where it's at. Those are both better.

      Delete
  11. Wow... Angel Heart! That movie made quite an impression on me when it came out on VHS in the 80s, but Id all but forgotten about it. And yes, I remember the Lisa Bonet bruhaha. Ugh. Just thinking about Cosby kills my soul. He was such a big part of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I saw Angel Heart for the first time, too! And yeah, Cosby was a big part of mine as well. Sigh.

      Delete
  12. Angel Heart sounds good, but the horror mention has put me off slightly. I'm not a Kate Hudson fan BUT this has also caught my attention especially with the hope of a TWIST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel Heart is MUCH more voodoo infused film noir than horror. However, it is unsettling. TSK is worth the watch for that twist.

      Delete
  13. The Skeleton Key is the only one I've seen and yeah I didn't see it coming. Have you ever seen Jessabelle (2014)...it has some similarities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen that one. Might have to check it out.

      Delete