Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Dellies - 2012 Best Actor

At long last, I'm finally ready to put a bow on 2012. Sorta. I mean, I'll still see more movies released during last year, but I'm comfortable enough to say what I think are the best and worse '12 has to offer. I'm working from a pool of roughly 130 movies, so even though I've missed a lot (still haven't seen Amour) I'm rolling with it.

Normally, I would just do a best and worst list and be done with it. I'm going to do something a little different this time. Let's call it "The Dellies." Basically, I'm going to go through the major Oscar categories and give my own opinions on the best.

No worries, I'll still get to a best and worst pic list.

For now, I'll start with

Best Actor

The Real Nominees: Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook), Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln), Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables), Joaquin Phoenix (The Master), Denzel Washington (Flight)

My Nominees:

Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
As has been said so many times already, Daniel Day-Lewis inhabits the character to such a degree he is truly lost within Abraham Lincoln.

John Hawkes, The Sessions
Through an astoundingly charming performance by John Hawkes, Mark is worthy of both our sympathy and empathy. Even though he literally lies still throughout the movie, he still manages an impressive range of emotion.

Dwight Henry, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Though overshadowed in the media by his co-star, Henry is no less excellent as her dad. Through him, we come to appreciate Wink as a passionate man doing what he thinks is right, whether we think it actually is or not.

Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
His emotions bubble to the surface, compelling us to watch. It’s not until after the movie that we realize we just saw Wolverine singing.

Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
The work Phoenix turns in is flat amazing. From the start, he fully embodies this raging man-child who is understanding of little more than pleasure and pain.


Honorable Mentions:
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Frank Langella, Robot & Frank
Matthew McConaughey, Killer Joe
Suraj Sharma, Life of Pi
Denzel Washington, Flight


The Real Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

And My Winner Is...

Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
I'll keep it simple. Daniel Day-Lewis is so good that I really felt like I was watching the sixteenth President of the United States.


No comments:

Post a Comment