Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Kids Movies Adults Would Enjoy (Non-Animated)


Man, these Thursdays are flying by, just like my childhood did. Good thing you don't actually have to be a kid to enjoy kid movies. Finding the types of movies that lend themselves to that idea is the mission presented by Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves. The only catch is they cannot be animated. Got it.

If you're not already participating, please click the link, find out how to get involved, and join in. I have lots of fun doing these posts. I've built up a rep, I think, of being the guy who is going to go obscure, and possibly, bizarre with his picks for this weekly exercise. Not doing that this week. Playing it straight, so you can go watch them. With your kids.


The Wizard of Oz
(1931)
If there's justice in the world, this will be the most popular pick this week. It really is a timeless classic. Don't think I need to say anymore about it.


The Bad News Bears
(1976)
The kids will love the team of misfits the movie is named after. You will, too. I mean, they'll warm your heart something good. However, the real prize for you grown-ups is watching Walter Matthau as perpetually drunken Coach Morris Buttermaker. Yup, that's a beer he's drinking in that pic. Tom Hanks, for what he did in A League of Their Own, owes a lot to this performance. If you need a more current movie, Billy Bob Thornton took on the role of the coach in a 2005 remake that isn't nearly as bad as people have been telling you.



The Monster Squad
(1987)
What if the classic Universal Monsters left the settings of their own movies and appeared in modern times? Well, at least modern in 1987. What we have here is a fun adventure where a group of kids is trying to stop Dracula and company from taking over the world. It's also the movie that definitively informed us that The Wolfman's got nards.


Click below for more Thursday Movie Picks:

24 comments:

  1. The Wizard of Oz and The Bad News Bears.... HELL YEAH!!! I haven't seen The Monster Squad or maybe I have seen it but don't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Monster Squad sounds fun. The Wizard of Oz is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very fun. Great "scary" flick for the little ones.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to see the Monster Squad and I've never gotten around to it. Someday! lol Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only seen The Wizard of Oz, and I really should have gone with it, but I chose it for another week (on fairy tale adaptations I think) and so I couldn't use it (personal rule).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I have the same rule. Some weeks it's tough not to break.

      Delete
  5. Great picks! Specifically, The Bad News Bears! I love that movie with all my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe with the different more obscure Judy Garland films I've picked throughout the weeks that one of her two signature films didn't even occur to me for this when it is such a perfect fit! Bad fan, Joel, bad fan. Be that as it may what an excellent choice, just a magical film.

    This version of Bad New Bears is the best, the other is okay but not a patch on this, and it's because of Matthau. Haven't seen Monster Squad, I've also just sort of ignored it not being much of a horror fan. Didn't realize it was more kid directed I'll have to check it out.

    I tried to stick with the classics myself this week, here's my three:

    Pollyanna (1960)-Fresh scrubbed piece of Americana from Disney made a huge star of Hayley Mills as the Glad Girl, a young orphan who comes to live with her severe maiden aunt and sets about fixing everybody’s lives. Bright and sunny for most of its running time with a cast full of terrific actors this veers occasionally towards the saccharine but if you like Mary Poppins you'll probably like this.

    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)-Candy colored version of Roald Dahl's fantasy of five children who find the golden ticket and get a chance to visit the reclusive Willy Wonka in his wonderland of a candy factory. Far better than the mess Tim Burton made of the book. Gene Wilder is brilliant in the lead.

    The Great Muppet Caper (1981)-Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo are reporters who head to London on the trail of a jewel thief who has stolen a diamond necklace from Dame Diana Rigg and framed her secretary, Miss Piggy for the theft. Cuteness ensues but as with all the Muppet features and shows they intermingle material that is sophisticated enough for adults while still capturing kid’s attention. Also Diana Rigg always makes anything better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This version of The Bad News Bears is the best. I just don't get all the hatred toward the remake. The Monster Squad is a lot of fun and definitely not horror if you're over 8 years old.

      Willy Wonka is a classic. Can't go wrong with that. Like with BNB, though, I don't hate the remake.

      I think I've seen Pollyanna when I was extremely young, but I wouldn't swear to it. I know I've seen The Great Muppet Caper, just don't remember anything about it. Sad, I know.

      Delete
    2. I get a kick out of all the Muppet movies but Muppet Caper is my favorite because the cast besides Kermit and company is British acting catnip to me, John Cleese, Peter Ustinov, Robert Morley and of course Diana Rigg plus Charles Grodin is along for the ride and they all jump into the spirit of the movie and seem to be having such fun.

      Delete
    3. You had me at John Cleese. Have to see if I can track that down.

      Delete
  7. The Wizard of Oz. I feel such shame for not even thinking of it. It even says it's for "the young and the young at heart" in the opening seconds!

    I always LOVED Walter Matthau in Bad News Bears. Monster Squad sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised not more people thought of TWoZ, so don't feel bad. Matthau is great in BNB. And yes, Monster Squad is.

      Delete
  8. I've never seen Monster Squad, but I'm in love with 80s movies!! I'm going to have to watch that one for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are an 80s movie aficianado, you've got to see The Monster Squad. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for including The Wizard of Oz. That officially makes you my hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...I'm happy to do so. It is a great, great movie.

      Delete
  10. What the Hell is going on here?

    Monster Squad is THE BEST MOVIE on this list?

    Was I the only uncivilized kid here? Or is it that I'm just the oldest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remove the second question mark, as there is no doubt.

      Delete
    2. Glad there's another Monster Squad fan...and someone else old enough to remember it.

      Delete
  11. Not very familiar of The Bad News Bears but have heard of it. I think it was the other good child performance by Tatum O'Neal?

    ReplyDelete