Thursday, September 18, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks: Movies About Young Love


Happy Thursday, all! On this week's edition of Thursday Movie Picks...

oh, wait. There might be some new folks here. Let's give them a quick rundown. Every Thursday, I make suggestions based on a theme selected by Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves as part of her Thursday Movie Picks meme. Check out her place and the list of upcoming topics and feel free to join in with your own picks.

This week, the theme is childhood, or young love. Wanderer defines "childhood" as being before high school. This left me in a little bit of a bind. I literally had no idea what to do. After combing the recesses of my mind for hours...okay, seconds because my recesses don't run that deep...I finally decided on three I'm calling my favorites. Chronologically, they are...

My Girl
(1991)
Has there ever been a more heart-breaking movie than this? In it, we follow Vada (Anna Chlumsky) and Thomas (Macaulay Culkin). Vada is a girl who has a ton of health problems. Similarly, Thomas is seemingly allergic to everything. The two form a bond throughout the movie and then...well, I won't say anymore.


Let the Right One In 
(2008)


Let Me In 
(2010)
Okay, so I'm cheating just a bit. We'll actually have four movies, instead of three to choose from this week. Let the Right One In is a wonderful Swedish film featuring two kids that develop an amazing relationship. The boy is a target for bullies while the girl keeps to herself. It just so happens that she's a vampire. In case subtitles are a bit much for you, Let Me In is the American remake. There are some differences along the way, but I enjoyed both very much. In fact, they both made my list of The Best Vampire Movies Since 2000.


Moonrise Kingdom
(2012)
In this one, a boy scout named Sam (Jared Gilman) runs away from camp and convinces a girl from town, Suzy (Kara Hayward) to go with him. While they're off on their little adventure, everyone on the island they live on, including his scout master and her parents are looking for them. Everyone involved gets into some rather interesting situations. Be forewarned that this is a Wes Anderson flick, whom I know some people aren't that fond of. Still, I had a great time watching this. Click here for my full review.


12 comments:

  1. I love all of these (except Let Me In, which I never bothered to see) Let The Right One In is probably my favorite of the bunch, and I still always cry at the end of My Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let the Right One In is amazing. Since you've seen it, the remake is not essential viewing, but I really liked that one, too. And yeah, My Girl definitely tugs at the heart strings.

      Delete
  2. I was going to choose My Girl for one of my choices this week, guess I'll have to be a little more creative now. I haven't seen the other two yet, but Let Me In sounds interesting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already seen what you came up with. Sorry I made it mote difficult for you, but you pulled it off with ease.

      Delete
  3. The only one of these I've seen is Moonrise Kingdom, which was a very good movie. I should have known it would be a popular choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend either or both of the vampire flicks. Neither is necessarily scary, but there's lots to grab onto there.

      Delete
  4. Great choices. I've seen them all and I too like both Let Me In and Let the Right One In.
    Wandering through the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad someone else enjoyed them both.

      Delete
  5. Let the Right One In is the best of the bunch as I just love that film. I've only seen bits of the remake and I was like... eh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. Lots of people seem to have that reaction.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seem Moonrise Kingdom, and I find thinking about My Girl too depressing. :-) I love the two others, especially the Swedish version, Let the Right One In. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, My Girl can be a bit much. I definitely suggest you see Moonrise Kingdom.

      Delete