Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Liebster Award, part 2
Happy Wednesday, ladies and gents. Yours truly has once again been nominated for a Liebster Award. Some of you may remember...vaguely...if you think real hard...and I tell you directly...that I was nominated for one back in July and did a write-up for it. You can read it, here. This time, I was nominated by the awesomely named Movie Nut 14 at Defiant Success. It's another blog I recently started frequenting. You should, too. I am ever so graciously accepting this award by creating this post. A very hearty thank you goes to MN14!
If you're not familiar with the Liebster, it's an award where bloggers get to talk about themselves and invite others to do the same. The communal nature of it makes it a great way to spread the word about other great blogs out there. As much as I love talking about myself, I'll probably not post about this particular award should I be nominated again before next year. I just hate to bore the few brave souls who check out what I'm doing by talking about the same award over and over.
Let's have a quick check of the rules...
1. Thank the blog who nominated you and link back to them.
2. Nominate up to 11 other bloggers to receive the coveted award.
3. Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
4. Tell your readers 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Give the nominees 11 questions to answer on their blog when they post their nomination.
We got #1 covered. We'll get to #2 at the end. Let's skip ahead to #4.
1. As a kid, I collected baseball cards. I literally bought thousands. I don't have even one, now.
2. As a kid, I collected comic books. I literally bought hundreds. I don't have even one, now.
3. As an adult, I collect DVDs. I literally bought over 700. I still have all of them.
4. As of this writing, I've not seen any Harry Potter movie.
5. I love coffee flavored ice cream.
6. As I'm typing this, The Price is Right is playing on TV. Drew Carey is OK, but I miss Bob Barker.
7. The Honeymooners is my favorite TV show of all-time.
8. I hardly ever actually watch TV anymore.
9. I once enjoyed lunch in the company of the late great poet Gwendolyn Brooks.
10. I've also eaten lunch alone.
11. I love long weekends.
Enough about me. Let's get to the questions MN14 has cooked up for me...
Favorite TV show(s)?
The Honeymooners, duh.
Last movie you saw?
I rewatched House Party which I'll be posting about shortly.
Book you're currently reading?
About to start Salt in the Sugar Bowl, a novel by Angela Belcher Epps - a friend of mine.
Comedy or drama?
Drama. I've gotten less and less into comedy as I've gotten older. At least regular comedies. Good dark comedies or self-aware comedies work better for me.
Classic or contemporary?
Contemporary. Usually. Wait, what are we talking about?
What's that one movie you always recommend to anyone who asks?
No such movie for me. I like to find out what types of films the person I'm talking to likes before recommending anything. Comes from a couple years as a Blockbuster employee.
You’re able to go back in time and be an extra on the set of any movie. Which one is it?
Tough question. My favorite movie is Do the Right Thing, so probably that one.
Favorite foreign film?
Oldboy, I think.
Book version or movie version: which is better?
The book. Usually.
Best performance from your favorite actor/actress?
Don't know that I have a favorite actor/actress. Guess I'll go with Denzel Washington as Malcolm X.
Watching movies alone or watching movies with someone?
Depends on what type of movie. Action flicks and comedies I prefer with others. I'd rather watch more introspective films alone.
Now on to the bloggers I'm nominating for this award. These are all wonderful blogs. I hope you check them all out.
Matt @ Film Guy Reviews
Caz @ Let's Go to the Movies
Alex @ Alex Raphael
Carly @ Carly Hearts Movies
Grog @ Grog's Movie Blogs
Khalid @ The Blazing Reel
Anna @ Film Grimoire
Sarah @ The Cinematic Emporium
Rhys @ Feeling Fuzzier
Birgit @ BB Creations
Heather @ That Film Girl
And the questions I have for them to answer:
What's your favorite movie that came out the year you were born?
Besides popcorn, what is your favorite thing to eat while watching a movie?
Name a great performance by an actor/actress you normally dislike?
Name a terrible performance by an actor/actress you normally love?
What movie best represents your hometown?
What musical act would you like to see get their own biopic?
Who should play the people in this group?
What movie character do you most want to give a supportive hug?
What movie character do you most want to punch in the face?
Name a movie that you didn't like the first time you saw it, but you like after giving it a second chance.
Name a movie that you liked the first time, but didn't hold up when you went back to it.
I hope you all accept the award. I look forward to your answers.