Sunday, April 3, 2016

Liebster Award, part 3


I was fortunate to receive a few of these awards last year, and accepted two. Before you go labeling me a jerk, let me explain. To accept, you have to create a post following a set of guidelines. Since I did two of these in short order, I figured I'd give it a bit of a rest. I wasn't planning on accepting another, were I so lucky to be nominated for one, for maybe another year. However, one came along that I couldn't resist. It was given to me by Grog of Grog's Movie Blogs. The first part that hooked me were the questions he set up for me to answer. I love them! More on that in a bit. The other thing that got me was that I looked at my own blogroll and saw that it has expanded quite a bit. That means I've got some new folks to nominate. Before I get to any of that, let's get the rules of this thing out of the way.

1) Answer the 11 questions given by the person who nominated you
2) Nominate other bloggers (up to 11) and give them 11 questions to answer.

There was another rule about personal stuff, but I'll skip that for now. Most folks do, anyway. Let's just get to those questions...



1. What new actor/director combo do you want to see?
Toughie, right out the box. Let's really think outside the box. I'll give you a few I'd like to see.

Steve McQueen and Christian Bale - One is a master at directing movies about tortured souls, the other is a master at playing them.

David O. Russell and Melissa McCarthy - I'd love to see MM in something that requires her to bring some dramatic and emotional chops, but nothing that's humorless. For that, Russell (Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Joy) seems like a great fit.

Martin Scorsese and Michael B. Jordan - The master of urban grit (Taxi Driver, GoodFellas, Raging Bull, etc.) occasionally steps out of his comfort zone (Hugo, The Aviator, Shutter Island, etc.) Well, we already know that Jordan can do urban grit and make it work (Fruitvale Station, Creed) and he can step out of that box, too (Chronicle).

Quentin Tarantino and Joe Pesci - Pesci's iconic "Why am I funny" scene from GoodFellas would have been right at home in a QT flick. Come back to us, Joe!

Ryan Coogler and Anthony Mackie - Mackie is an actor with great potential. As happy as I am to see him playing Falcon in the MCU, I'm sad he won't get to flex his dramatic chops in those films. He's proven in the past, he has them. Coogler is just the guy to bring them out in full force.

2. Do you usually eat any snacks at the cinema (and do you buy it there or smuggle it in)?
Goobers. Smuggled. Don't judge.

3. What’s your biggest guilty pleasure film?
Showgirls. What did I tell you about judging.


4. Which film franchise do you wish stopped earlier?
Divergent, Paranormal Activity, Scary Movie, Twilight...I'll stop there.

5. Which superhero do you want to have an R-rated movie of after the success of Deadpool?
I really want to see a legit, R-rated version of Spawn. I actually like the movie we got, yes I know I'm the only one, but it was definitely watered down. And John Leguizamo's performance in that film is criminally underrated. Still, a new version could be spectacular.


6. What’s your favourite modern superhero universe (X-Men, MCU, DCU, Dark Knight Trilogy)?
The Dark Knight Trilogy. Easy. I like those others, well not so sure about DCU, yet. Either way what Nolan did with Batman sets a bar high enough that no one else has reached it, yet.

7. Rocky or Rambo?
Rocky. Through 7 movies over 40 years, the dude has remained a human being. I love watching Rambo kill lots and lots of people, but he's become a cartoon character.

8. Bond or Bourne?
Bond. James Bond.


9. Who do you think is the most overrated director?
Judd Apatow. All of his movies are too easily recognizable as following the same template. He frontloads most of his actual (very raunchy) humor then becomes a regular old rom-com that drags BADLY during a last act that's nothing more than straight-forward rom-com. And most of his movies are 20 or 30 minutes too long.

10. Least Favourite Star Wars movie?
Attack of the Clones. There is nothing more excruciating than trying to sit through this thing.

11. Superman ’78 or Man of Steel (there is a right and wrong answer ;))?
'78. And it's not even close. I mean, I like Man of Steel well enough, but no. Just no.



Alright, time for me to nominate some bloggers for this same award. I'm trying to nom some folks I haven't done before. Here they are...

A Film a Day
Almost Ginger
Carly Hearts Movies
Defiant Success
Film Actually
Film Guy Reviews
Forgotten Films
KG's Movie Rants
Movie Movie Blog Blog
Robbins Realm Blog
Sinekdoks

All you have to do accept your award is create a post and following the rules, including answering the questions below...


1. Name an actor or actress who's films you will always see, no matter what. Tell us why?
2. Name an actor or actress who's films you try not to see, no matter what. Tell us why?
3. What movie would you like to see get a sequel that never got one?
4. Where is your ideal seat in a movie theater?
5. Other than in a theater, how do you watch most movies? (Redbox, Netflix, online, Blu-Rays/DVDs you own, etc.)
6. Name a movie you love from a genre you hate.
7. Name a movie you hate from a genre you love.
8. What classic era director (1960s or earlier) would've made a great superhero movie? Why?
9. What currently working director would've made a great classic era noir? Why?
10. What famous person would you like to see get a biopic that hasn't had one?
11. You're going to spend the rest of your life all alone on a deserted island. You're allowed to bring only three movies with you. What are they and why?

Thanks again to Grog who actually nominated me for this weeks ago. I've just been slow getting around to it. Congrats to all the bloggers I nominated. Even if you decide not to accept, just know that I have enjoyed your blog and plan on continuing to do just that. If you do accept, I hope you have fun answering the questions that I came up with for you.

Happy Blogging!!!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nomination. I've never been one to turn down praise so I graciously accept. I love your choices for director/actor combos. I think Anthony Mackie is an underutilised talent and hoping his success in the MCU propels him into leading man status. I actually also liked The Spawn movie. A superhero from hell, how do you not love that?
    You've asked some tough questions, hope my answers stack up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, another fan of the Spawn movie. We're rare folk, indeed. Looking forward to your answers.

      Delete
  2. My biggest guilty pleasure is.... shh.... Troop Beverly Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the answers! Would love to see Joe Pesci work with Tarantino but then again I'd just like to see Joe Pesci in anything again haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need Joe Pesci back! Thanks again for the nom.

      Delete
  4. Love all your answers! Love the idea of pairing Melissa McCarthy and David O. Russell, somehow I think of Amy Schumer as well. Also, I'm on your side about an R-rated Spawn. He should be filthy and brutal, gonna appreciate that!

    You're gonna have my answers, soon!

    -Sinekdoks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! McCarthy and Russell just feel like a great fit to me. Crossing my fingers about that R-rated Spawn. Looking forward to what you come up with!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the nomination. Not sure if I'll get around to doing a post, but I appreciate it.

    I like your actor/director pairings, I'd love to see those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Hope you can get to do a post. I'll understand if you can't...but hope you can.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea you accepted them. Great answers. Especially Divergent. Is there really another one left?! Great questions. You should answer them too. Who would you most like to see Jennifer Lawrence and Jake Gyllenhaal be directed by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all. If they come too close together, I'll pass on a few. I won't answer my own questions. I'll leave that to the folks I nominated. As for your question, JLaw might be great in a David Fincher or Steven Soderbergh film. Gyllenhaal would also be a good fit for McQueen, but I'm going out on a limb and saying I would really be interested in him teaming up with Tim Burton.

      Delete
    2. Why thank you. Thank you, very much.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the nom! However this too would be my third Liebster post and while I am SO GRATEFUL for the inclusion I'm concerned my readers might die of boredom... or at least slump off with a pathetic shrug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. Might be another year before I do another, myself.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for the nomination! I really appreciate it but I'm not sure if I'll do a post, it seems like a lot of work.

    I also would love to see McQueen and Bale working together, I can't even imagine how awesome it could be. And I agree on the franchises, and the Dark Knight trilogy.

    And don't worry I won't judge you, I also sneak food into the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. The hardest part is coming up with questions for others. However, there are no rules against borrowing questions from others.

      Yes to McQueen and Bale. And glad to know someone else is a smuggler.

      Delete
  9. Hahaha...you're combos are really sweet. I'd love up early for Pesci/QT.

    Dude, smuggling in Goobers? Solid move. My wife always takes that overboard and brings a three course meal. Ridiculous. ..but I'm not mad about it.

    AOTC is only saved by that awesome battle at the end. But the rest of it? Yikes. Way too much Hayden...uh, trying to hold in a fart, or whatever was his problem.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete