Monday, January 15, 2018

Happy MLK Day 2018


Martin Luther King Jr. day has rolled around once again here in America. Given the direction this country is being steered, I think it's more important than its been in quite some time to honor and reflect upon the legacy of Dr. King. I'm not going to turn this into a class on the man, but I will say that to me his legacy is ultimately standing up for what is right against whoever is doing the wrong. Of course, Dr. King is also known as one of the greatest orators the world ever produced. Of his many insightful and profound quotes, there are many that are still applicable to present day society. One in particular even speaks to the man we somehow elected to be our fearless leader:


"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Yup. That about sums it up.

 Of course, this is a movie blog. That means you're here about movies. I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest starting with the best movie about the man himself:


Over the years, I've reviewed a number of other movies about the struggle for civil rights in one form or another. Here are a bunch of them (in alphabetical order):





9 comments:

  1. Truer words from a man of peace and love. We need more of that nowadays. I love you man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to focus on his message, otherwise it's just too depressing to think of such a brilliant mind being murdered just for trying to make his country a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me you've seen the CBS interview with George Raveling! It's about the day that MLK delivered his most famous words. I'd link to it, but I can only find the short version (about 4 mins), but there's a longer cut that's incredible. [I show this to my kids every year]

    Uh, anyway, excellent post, man. I gotta make it through your reviews up there. And, I really...really need to see Selma.

    Oh, and if you don't mind, let me get in on the MLK quote action (that our dear Prez could stand to read a couple thousand times). Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That interview sounds familiar, but I can't say I've seen it for sure. I'll scrounge around the interwebs and see if I can find it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link, of course. I truly enjoyed Selma. Such a well-made historical film. Need to hit up some of these other reviews you've linked to here.

    ReplyDelete